Capital Improvement Program (CIP)
Link to FY 2018-19 Capital Improvement Program (CIP) document
The City of San Rafael maintains over 30 facilities, including parking lots, as well as an extensive park, road and storm water drainage systems. Much of this infrastructure was built in the 1950’s and 1960’s, and the public facilities such as community centers, playing fields, and parks are heavily utilized and show significant wear and tear. Like many other public agencies, the City’s stormwater and road system is also aging. Projects identified on the Capital Improvement Program (CIP) represent the City’s highest priority for maintenance and infrastructure upgrades; based on condition of the infrastructure, codes and standards compliance for access and safety, public and Council input, and other factors.
The CIP is a multi-year planning tool used to identify and implement the City’s capital needs over the upcoming 3-year period: FY 2018-19 through FY 2020-21. The CIP document summarizes the City’s planned capital and infrastructure improvement projects, including their funding sources, and prioritizes projects after analysis and coordination with other City departments in order to ensure that all City services are represented.
The general categories within the CIP are as follows:
- City-Owned Properties: City facilities including buildings, parking garages and lots
- Drainage: Stormwater systems including roadway drainage and pump stations
- Parks: Park infrastructure and facilities including playgrounds, recreation equipment, and restrooms
- Right-of-Way: Roadway improvements including construction, resurfacing, and traffic and signal improvements
Major new projects identified in the FY 2018-19 3-Year CIP include:
- Falkirk Reroof
- TL Community Center Floor replacement
- Innovative Deployment of Enhanced Arterials (IDEA)
- Tamalpais West Bike Lane
- Fourth Street seat wall Improvements