Learn  about facility hours and city services during COVID-19

Illegal Dumping: Tips & Resources / Vertido Ilegal: Consejos y Recursos

Check out our new Story Map and let us know if it’s helpful!


Neighborhood Collection Events (Multi-family residents only)

The City is conducting a pilot project to encourage the legal disposal of unwanted items and gain a better understanding of community needs. If you are a tenant in a multi-family apartment, click here to learn more.

REPORT Illegal Dumping

You can use our online form or call our mainline at (415) 485-3355 to report illegal dumping in progress or the location of illegally dumped items.

If your property was dumped on and you have evidence about the suspect, please file a Vandalism report using the San Rafael Police Department’s (SRPD) Online Reporting Tool.

PREVENT Dumping on Your Property

2021 Crime Prevention Mini-Grants available NOW! Want to do something to protect your property but need some help with the cost? Check out our time-limited Mini-Grant program and see if you are eligible. Hurry – this is a pilot with limited funding and ends this spring so get your application in now.

If you have a surveillance camera, register it with the San Rafael Police Department.

To prevent illegal dumping, learn how Crime Prevention Through Environmental Design (CPTED) can be used in your home or business to discourage criminal activity.

REMOVE Dumped Items from Your Property

Junk haulers can be hired to remove illegally dumped items. Please review the Business License database for a list of authorized haulers with the City of San Rafael. All junk haulers must give you a receipt from the dump to verify proper disposal!

Rent a debris box from companies like Marin Sanitary Service or Grange Box to properly dispose of unwanted bulky items. Various dumpster sizes are available.

Electronic waste like televisions and computers is collected by the Conservation Corps North Bay (CCNB) for FREE. They also collect used tires and motor oil for recycling. Contact CCNB by phone at (415) 454-4554 or email recycle@ccnorthbay.org to schedule a pick-up!

Contact the Downtown Streets Team to collect bulky items. Small donations requested.


Close window