View department hours and services during COVID-19     |     🌧Winter storm season is here🌧For more information and resources, visit our Storm Readiness and Response page.

Film Licenses/Permits

To film on public or private property, you will need a business license.

When you register online, select  either "Film Crew/Private Property" or "Film Crew/Public Property" as your Business Type.  Under "Detailed Description of Business," please indicate the number of days you will be filming on public property and private property.

For more information on filming in San Rafael please contact:

Lisa Holton Lieutenant 

San Rafael Police Department
1375 Fifth Avenue
San Rafael,  CA 94901
(415) 485-3049

Other Helpful Information

Depending on the nature of the shoot, film shoots may require permits from the Police Department and the Fire Department . If you wish to purchase meter bags near your filming location, contact the Parking Division

Close window