Chipping is coming back this Summer! Don't forget to make a reservation on the MWPA website to secure your free pick up!
San Rafael Municipal Code requires the creation of Defensible Space around all homes and structures in the City. One way we are supporting our residents in their efforts to achieve defensible space is through free curbside chipper services. Our primary chipper program is currently managed and funded through the Marin Wildfire Prevention Authority. Residents MUST register in advance and follow the posted rules to take advantage of this free service.
Residents can plan ahead for their chipper week using the below list- but remember- you must go to the website to register. If you aren't quite sure what area you fall in, simply plug your address AND zip code into the online tool to find your exact dates.
2023 San Rafael Zone Chipping Weeks
Other Vegetation Disposal Resources
- The City offers additional chipper days as needed. Contact us to learn more.
- Resident Grants- The City and MWPA have various grant programs to assist residents with the costs of adapting to wildfire.
- Self-funded Chipper Day: Some neighborhoods will divide the cost of a Chipper Day and assess the Chipper participants individually. Other option is to assess the entire association the cost of a Chipper Day.
- Marin Sanitation Service offers an additional “Green Can” for a small monthly cost. Give them a call at (415) 456-2601.
- In Nicasio there is a large dirt area where residents can drop off all their vegetation on Green Waste Days for a fee. Please, no building materials, general debris or garbage and no palm trees please. To find out when the next Green Waste Day will be call (415) 473-6717