Register Your Business

All businesses need to register with the City and pay taxes. You may also need to register with the State first and if you have employees, register with the Federal Government.

Pay your City Business Tax

You pay your Business Tax when you register for a Business License, so if you have a Business License you have already paid your Business Tax. Business license renewals can be completed online through our eLicense feature.

Business tax registration  applications are available online or you can pay on the top floor of City Hall during business hours.  

You'll need to name and register your business

Name your business

If you're not doing business under your own name you may need to file a Fictitious Business Name through the County of Marin.

Register your business

If you choose a partnership, corporation, or limited liability company (LLC) as your business structure you must first register or incorporate with the CA Secretary of State before you do anything else.

Get an Employer Identification Number (EIN) through the Internal Revenue Service.

Before hiring your first employee, you must obtain an Employer Identification Number (EIN). This number is used for reporting taxes and other documents to the IRS, as well as for reporting information about your employees to state agencies.

The EIN is also known as a Federal Tax Identification Number, Employer Tax ID or Form SS-4. 

You may want to consult with an attorney on any other legal considerations for your new business.

Close window