Get licensed and permitted

Make sure you're equipped with the correct licenses and permits to take your idea from concept to completion.

Business License (Tax Certificate)

If you plan to conduct business within San Rafael city limits or your business is based in San Rafael, you must obtain a business license. When you register for a business license (also known as a Business Tax Certificate) you'll automatically pay your business tax. Remember though to renew your Business Tax Certificate each year.

Building Permit

You'll need a building permit to build, enlarge, alter, remove, demolish or repair a structure.

To apply for a  permit you'll need to  complete an application form, provide your construction drawings and pay the building permit fees.

After the work has been completed you’ll need to schedule an inspection with our Building Division by calling (415) 485 - 3365. Field inspection hours are Monday through Thursday, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.

Although a  building permit may not be required for your project, make sure you have it reviewed by the Planning Division, Fire Prevention Bureau and the Public Works Department for any condition or restrictions they may have on the type of work you plan to do.

Close window