🚩Attn: Building Customers🚩
the Epermits system is currently experiencing technical difficulties and is not allowing plans & documents to be attached to your application.
Please email your documents to Building@cityofsanrafael.org AFTER you have created your permit.
Anyone can apply for a permit online, but if this is your first time applying for a permit online, you will need to create a user account. These guides are available to help you: Homeowner, Contractor. Attn Contractors: To apply for these permits you will need to have an account. If you do not already have one please contact the department at (415) 485-3367. Please contact us if you have any questions.
For additional information and plan requirements for generators click here.
**To see an example of what your generator plans should include click here **
Building Permit Application can be found here.
- Permit type "Generator Online" sub type "Residential" for permanently installed generators. (full plans required)
- Permit for portable generators use sub type "Transfer Switch" This permit will be for the modifications to the electrical panel. Plans required: Site Plan with generator location when in use and electrical diagram.
Commercial Generators (Check with the Planning Division before Submitting to see if your project needs a separate Planning approval)
- Permit Type “Generator Online” Sub Type “Commercial”
Plans/Documents required for permitting
Three (3) sets of plans will be required. Plans should include:
- Site plan (see example)
- Showing all property lines and structures
- Distance of unit to property lines and neighboring bedroom windows
- Manufactures Specifications Including:
- Decibel ratings for unit and distance from unit the rating is measured at.
- Installation instructions, including details how the unit will be permanently installed
- Electrical information
- including modifications to be made to existing electrical service and connection to the unit.
- Provide electrical line diagram showing all conduits and conductors (number, size, distances), transfer switches, panels, equipment, and loads.
- Gas Schematic (see diagram)
- Required when connecting to your existing Natural Gas system.
- Additional Items if applicable:
- Product documentation for any Noise reducing measures or products that may be added to the unit.