Anyone can apply for a permit online, but if this is your first time applying, you will need to create a user account. These guides are available to help you: Homeowner, Attn Contractors: To apply for these permits you will need to have an account. If you do not already have an account for online permits click here to request one.
Please contact us if you have any questions.
For setback and noise requirements click here.
**To see an example of what your generator plans should include click here **
Building Permit Application can be found here.
- Permit type "Generator Online" sub type "Residential" for permanently installed generators. (full plans required)
- Permit for portable generators use sub type "Transfer Switch" This permit will be for the modifications to the electrical panel. Plans required: Site Plan with generator location when in use and electrical diagram.
Commercial Generators (Check with the Planning Division before Submitting to see if your project needs a separate Planning approval)
- Permit Type “Generator Online” Sub Type “Commercial”
Plans/Documents required for permitting
Three (3) sets of plans will be required. Plans should include:
- Site plan (see example)
- Showing all property lines and structures
- Distance of unit to property lines and neighboring bedroom windows
- Manufactures Specifications Including:
- Decibel ratings for unit and distance from unit the rating is measured at.
- Installation instructions, including details how the unit will be permanently installed
- Electrical information
- including modifications to be made to existing electrical service and connection to the unit.
- Provide electrical line diagram showing all conduits and conductors (number, size, distances), transfer switches, panels, equipment, and loads.
- Gas Schematic (see diagram)
- Required when connecting to your existing Natural Gas system.
- Additional Items if applicable:
- Product documentation for any Noise reducing measures or products that may be added to the unit.