Anyone can apply for a permit online, but if this is your first time applying for a permit online, you will need to create a user account. These guides are available to help you: Homeowner, Contractor. Attn Contractors: To apply for these permits you will need to have an account. If you do not already have one please contact the department at 415-485-3367. Please contact us if you have any questions.
Please Note: All generator permits will require plans for submittal. Those documents will need to be attached to your application. *Only enter $1.00 for permit valuation* Once your application is received it will be reviewed for compliance. This may take up to 7 working days.
Building Permit Application can be found here.
For additional information and plan requirements for generators click here.
- Permit Type “General Permit Online” Sub Type “Residential"- This permit is for generators that will be permanently installed only.
- If you are installing a portable generator you will need to apply for and “Electrical Permit Online” for changes to your service panel.
Commercial Generators (Check with the Planning Division before Submitting to see if your project needs a separate Planning approval)
- Permit Type “General Permit Online” Sub Type “Commercial”
Plans/Documents required for permitting
Three (3) sets of plans will be required. Plans should include:
- Site plan (see example)
- Showing all property lines and structures
- Distance of unit to property lines and neighboring bedroom windows
- Manufactures Specifications Including:
- Decibel ratings for unit and distance from unit the rating is measured at.
- Installation instructions, including details how the unit will be permanently installed
- Electrical information
- including modifications to be made to existing electrical service and connection to the unit.
- Gas Schematic (see diagram)
- Required when connecting to your existing Natural Gas system.
- Additional Items if applicable:
- Product documentation for any Noise reducing measures or products that may be added to the unit.