Guidelines and information about how you can rent space for your promotional banner
2022 Date Ranges: The standard is Monday-Monday for three weeks and for Monday holidays there will be a Tuesday installation. Requests are accepted by email on a first-come, first-served basis.
2023 Banner Requests will be accepted October 3rd 2022.
Please email completed forms to Darcie.Chellew@cityofsanrafael.org
Make checks payable to the City of San Rafael and send to: Library & Recreation Department, 618 B Street, San Rafael, CA 94901.
Vertical Banners on Poles - $60 each
The City of San Rafael has 63 light poles from Tamalpais to Second Street that have the capacity for two banners each, which is a total of up to 126 banners. You may choose which poles you wish to use, and you may hang one or two banners on each light pole. Installation must be for at least one block.
Horizontal Banners hang from one side of the street to the other side - $360 each
Locations are at the EAST END at Fourth Street and Tamalpais Avenue and at the WEST END at Fourth Street and Second Street
The banner poles in Downtown San Rafael are for use by the City of San Rafael and any San Rafael based non-profit organization advertising an event within San Rafael. The City may pre-empt use of the poles for a City banner at any time.
- Reservation requests begin in October of the preceding calendar year on a first-come-first-served basis.
- Fees must be paid prior to banner(s) installation.
- A Certificate of Insurance for $1,000,000 liability coverage must be submitted. A Separate Endorsement naming the City of San Rafael as Additional Insured is required.
- Before installation, the City shall review and approve banner text, materials and colors.
- All banners must be two-sided. Use the City's Specifications in the Banner Guidelines to assist in the manufacturing of the banner(s).
- The City cannot store banner(s). Drop off and pick up is done with City staff by appointment.
- Based on space availability, banner(s) may be hung for a maximum of three weeks at a time, unless the City approves a longer period of time.
- The City of San Rafael will not be responsible for any damaged sustained to the banner(s) due to acts of nature.