Pride Flag

The City of San Rafael celebrates Pride Month



Do I need a vegetation inspection?

Short-term Rentals on properties in a Wildland-Urban Interface (WUI) must show proof of a vegetation inspection as part of their registration. For 2020, property owners will be able to conduct a self-certified vegetation inspection, by completed a Vegetation Inspection Checklist and submitting photos of the front, back, and sides of the property. It is important … Continued

How can I file a complaint?

To file a complaint regarding a Short-Term Rental in San Rafael: Call our 24/7 Complaint Hotline at: (415) 521-3556 Submit a compliant online: Short-Term Rental Complaint Online Form  For other questions, please  contact Hector Carlos at or at 415.458.5337.

What is the three-strikes policy?

Any hosts who have received three or more upheld citation violations of the program rules in a two year period, they will immediately lose the short-term rental registration.

Do I need to collect taxes for my Short-Term Rental?

Yes, the City requires hosts collect and remit Transient Occupancy Taxes (TOT) for all short-term rentals. TOT is 12% (10% City, 2% for MCBIDTA). Airbnb will directly remit the taxes to the city. All other rental site (i.e. VRBO or Turn key ) you will have to remit the tax payment yourself.   There is a … Continued

Is there a registration fee?

Yes, there is a $170 registration fee the first time you register your short-term rental. If you are renewing your registration the fee is $135.

Are Short-Term Rentals required to provide guest parking?

Yes, one designated off-street parking space must be provided for every four guests. For properties with multiple residential units used as short-term rentals, each rental listing must have its own designated off-street parking.

How many people can stay at my Short-Term Rental?

The City allows  two individuals per bedroom plus two additional individuals if the rental provides additional living space. For instance, a studio could accommodate two individuals and a one-bedroom apartment could accommodate four individuals. The City also requires that rentals provide enough off-street parking to meet the number who can stay in the short-term rental.  … Continued

How do I prove my Short-Term Rental is my “Primary Residence”?

To prove your Short-Term Rental is your “Primary Residence,” you must provide three of the following five documents when you register: Motor vehicle registration; Driver’s license; Voter registration; Tax documents showing the Residential Unit as the Permanent Resident’s residence for the purposes of a home owner’s tax exemption; A utility bill.

Close window