Please note:  City Hall and most departments/facilities will be closed from December 23rd through January 2nd. We will resume all services on Tuesday, January 3, 2023.

FAQ Topic: Public Safety

Who Can I Hire to Clear Weeds from Around My House?

Most homeowners need a landscape or tree contractor to clear grass, weeds, and brush from around their home. See the contractor’s page at FireSafe Marin – for links to local contractors who’ve received basic training.

Can I Hire Your Goats to Clear My Back Yard?

We don’t own goats. San Rafael, the County of Marin, FIRESafe MARIN, and other local agencies contract with private goat herders to reduce vegetation hazards on large parcels. Goats are usually only cost effective for larger properties of 5-10 or more acres due to transportation cost and logistics. In most cases, for small properties of … Continued

I Need To Remove A Dead Tree or Cut Vegetation Around My Home. Who Can I Hire to Do This Work?

See for a list of contractors who’ve completed basic training in wildfire preparedness. Any licensed tree company or arborist should do fine for tree removals. We don’t typically recommend specific contractors, and have had good experiences with nearly every tree service you’ll find in the “yellow pages” or Google. Ensure that they are a … Continued

How Do I Get Started with Home Hardening and Creating Defensible Space?

Fire prevention experts have identified zones (areas around your house) that should be improved to reduce fire risk. Zone 0: Immediate Zone (0-5ft from structure) Remove accumulated leaves, needles and dead vegetative growth from the roof, gutters, decks, porches, and stairways. All vegetation in this zone shall be well-irrigated and free from dead or dying … Continued

Close window