In recent months, the City of San Rafael has been holding community meetings on the topic of “Policing in San Rafael” following a 2022 police incident that occurred in the Canal neighborhood. In each meeting, Police Chief Dave Spiller listened directly to the community’s concerns and committed to developing a formal response to the community’s input, which will include some form of police oversight in 2023. The main themes of the comments have been summarized and categorized into the following five topic areas:
Para traducir esta página, haga clic en el icono del globo terráqueo y seleccione su idioma
Click the boxes below to read what we heard from the community:
Previous Community Meetings
Police Chief Dave Spiller, Councilmember Llorens Gulati, and key leaders from the City and the San Rafael Police Department (SRPD) held several hybrid community meetings in English, Spanish and Vietnamese. The meetings have been well attended with around 200 community members participating in recent months. At the meetings participants were able to break into smaller groups in person and over zoom and work with community facilitators to provide their overall feedback on interactions with the SRPD, as well as share what safety and security means to them. Facilitators summarized and shared the group comments and notes on key concerns and themes for SRPD to formally respond to. We will continue holding more community meetings and will update these key themes with more feedback as meetings occur. To be informed of upcoming meetings please sign up here.
Previous meetings were held on:
- October 24th, 2022, At the Albert J. Boro Community Center at Pickleweed Park from 6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. (Spanish with English Translation)
- November 3rd, 2022, At the Albert J. Boro Community Center at Pickleweed Park from 6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. (English with Spanish translation)
- November 18, 2022, At San Rafael High School from 10:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.
- December 9th, 2022, At the Albert J. Boro Community Center at Pickleweed Park from 10:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. (Vietnamese with English Translation)
- January/February 2023, Held multiple meetings with community members and organizations regarding police oversight and accountability.
- March 8th, 2023 At the Albert J. Boro Community Center at Pickleweed Park from 6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. (Spanish with English Translation)
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ):
Marin Voice: City attorney explains process of investigating San Rafael police
Posted on September 18, 2022