The San Rafael Recreation Scholarship Program seeks to ensure that all San Rafael residents have access to recreation activities offered by the Library and Recreation Department. The City is committed to providing quality, affordable recreation programs for everyone to enjoy.
Scholarships are allocated twice per year, with applications accepted starting in January (for Spring and Summer programs) and July (for Fall and Winter programs). Funding is limited and the amount available varies by year. Funds are allocated on a first come, first served basis so we encourage applicants to apply early.
Scholarships can be used to cover up to 75% of a class or program fee, up to a maximum of $200 per person or $500 per family per year. Scholarships cannot be used for facility rentals, drop-in programs (except when using a punch pass), programs that involve gambling, nor materials/supplies fees that are paid directly to instructors.
To qualify for a scholarship, applicants must meet both of the following two criteria:
- Reside in the City of San Rafael.
- Either live in a household that participates in one of the following government safety net programs (free and reduced school lunch; CalFresh (SNAP); Women, Infant Children (WIC); Medi-Cal; foster care; or child welfare system) OR their household income must be equal or less than 60% of the area median income, as determined by the following CDBG Income Limits:
Annual Household Income
- Review the scholarship guidelines and eligibility requirements.
- Identify the class(es)/program(s) that you would like to apply the scholarship towards.*
- Submit a fully completed application form to firstname.lastname@example.org, including:
- Proof of Residency
- Proof of Income Eligibility
Library and Recreation staff will contact you prior to the start of the class/program to inform you of your scholarship status and to help you sign up for the class(es)/program(s).
*If you would like to pre-qualify for the scholarship program, you may submit an application at the beginning of the year, prior to selecting a class or activity. Pre-qualification will allow you to more quickly sign up for popular programs that fill up quickly. Please note, that final approval of all scholarships will be dependent upon funding available at the time of program registration. Pre-qualification for a scholarship does not guarantee available funds.