NEW! September Free SMART Train Ridership Promotion
Do you live along the SMART Train route? Are you interested in trying SMART for your commute to work? We’ve got a free Monthly Pass for you for the month of September! Check out this free SMART train ridership promotion starting in September!
Did you know that sitting in traffic makes you more angry, stressed, and less happy? Long commutes cause obesity, neck pain, loneliness, divorce, stress, and insomnia. According to a Swedish study in 2011, couples in which one partner commutes for longer than 45 minutes are 40 percent more likely to divorce! A non-scientific study just made up by the Ministry of Alternative Commute found that pretty much all bicyclists find their soul mates and stay happily married to them.
Employee Commute Program
The City’s 2005 Greenhouse Gas Inventory showed that employee commute activity is responsible for 40.8% of the City’s total government operations emissions. Both the City and its employees can benefit from policies and programs that reduce single-occupancy commutes. The City can benefit from reduced greenhouse gas emissions, a reduced need for parking, and increased employee productivity and morale. Employees can benefit from reduced transportation costs, reduced commute time, decreased stress, and increased health outcomes.
- Carpool Cabana: Join a carpool or vanpool and track your participation on 511.org in order to receive an annual $75 gas card and be eligible for quarterly raffles. 511.org also offers carpooling incentives.
- Transit Bandit: Take the bus much? We'll give you an annual $75 Clipper card.
- Bicycle Schmicycle: Ride a bike to work and get an annual $75 gift card to local bike shop.
- Walker's Paradise: Walk to work and get an annual $75 gift card to a local fitness or sporting goods store.
- Ain't No Party Like a Vanpool Party: Transportation Authority of Marin provides a $3,600 vanpool subsidy. 511.org also offers monetary and gas card incentives for vanpoolers.
- Income Tax Savings Soiree: Use up to $255 per month (2016 amount) in pre-tax dollars for vanpool and public transit with the Income Tax Savings Soiree.
- Commuter Club Quarterly Raffle: For each trip made using an alternative mode of transportation, get a raffle entry.
- Ride Match Roulette: Sign up with 511.org and find others to carpool, bike or walk with to work.
- Park It Closer Carpool/Vanpool Parking Incentive: If you carpool or vanpool, get prime parking spaces at work.
- Help! Emergency Ride Home: Provided by the Transportation Authority of Marin, assistance getting home from work when family/home/work emergencies occur. The City will supplement the TAM reimbursement in the event that the trip home is longer than the TAM subsidy.
- Charge It On Us Electric Vehicle Subsidy: Get $100 for purchasing an electric vehicle (EV).
All full-time and part-time employees are eligible for the program. Regular volunteers are eligible for Commuter Club Quarterly Drawings, Ride Match Roulette and Transit Bandit incentives.
How do I track my trips?
Many of the program incentives require you to track your commute trips in the 511 trip diary.
How does the Emergency Ride Home program work?
As a City employee, you are eligible for an Emergency Ride Home. The Marin Emergency Ride Home (ERH) Program provides a free ride home in cases of emergency for employees who use alternative transportation, such as carpooling, vanpooling, public transit, bicycling, and walking.
If an emergency arises, here’s what to do:
- Let your supervisor know and contact Rebecca Woodbury in the City Manager’s Office.
- Call a taxi. Here’s a list of taxi companies in Marin.
- Initially the trip may be paid by either you or the City. Reimbursement will be provided by the MARIN ERH program.
This program is administered by the Transportation Authority of Marin. Like everything else in life, there are rules, check them out.
In the event that the trip home is longer than what the TAM reimbursement allows, the City will supplement the rest. Contact Rebecca for the account code to use for your reimbursement request.
Brought to you by the Ministry of Alternative Commute