Discounted SMART ECO Passes
Do you live along the SMART Train route? Sign up to get your discounted SMART monthly ECO Pass for only $155. That's a savings of 22% before your tax break! Contact HR for more information. Note: for benefit-eligible full-time and part-time employees only.
Got an Electric Vehicle? Learn about discounted rates for City employees at City of San Rafael parking lot chargers here!
Did you know that sitting in traffic makes you more angry, stressed, and less happy? Long commutes cause obesity, neck pain, loneliness, divorce, stress, and insomnia. According to a Swedish study in 2011, couples in which one partner commutes for longer than 45 minutes are 40 percent more likely to divorce! A non-scientific study just made up by the Ministry of Alternative Commute found that pretty much all bicyclists find their soul mates and stay happily married to them.
Employee Commute Program
The City’s 2005 Greenhouse Gas Inventory showed that employee commute activity is responsible for 40.8% of the City’s total government operations emissions. Both the City and its employees can benefit from policies and programs that reduce single-occupancy commutes. The City can benefit from reduced greenhouse gas emissions, a reduced need for parking, and increased employee productivity and morale. Employees can benefit from reduced transportation costs, reduced commute time, decreased stress, and increased health outcomes.
- Carpool Cabana: Join a carpool or vanpool and track your participation using our Trip Tracker in order to receive a $75 gas card twice a year and be eligible for quarterly raffles. 511.org also offers carpooling incentives, but you have to track trips on their system as well.
- Transit Bandit: Take the bus much? We'll give you a $75 gift card twice a year.
- Bicycle Schmicycle: Ride a bike to work and get a $75 gift card twice a year.
- Walker's Paradise: Walk to work and get a $75 gift card twice a year.
- Ain't No Party Like a Vanpool Party: Transportation Authority of Marin provides a $3,600 vanpool subsidy. 511.org also offers monetary and gas card incentives for vanpoolers.
- Income Tax Savings Soiree: Use pre-tax dollars for vanpool and public transit (up to the IRS limit) with the Income Tax Savings Soiree. Order your pre-tax Commuter Benefits online through My Commuter Check.
- Commuter Club Quarterly Raffle: Get a raffle entry for each trip made using an alternative mode of transportation.
- Ride Match Roulette: Sign up with 511.org and find others to carpool, bike or walk with to work.
- Park It Closer Carpool/Vanpool Parking Incentive: If you carpool or vanpool, get prime parking spaces at work.
- Help! Emergency Ride Home: Provided by the Transportation Authority of Marin, assistance getting home from work when family/home/work emergencies occur. The City will supplement the TAM reimbursement in the event that the trip home is longer than the TAM subsidy.
- Charge It On Us Electric Vehicle Subsidy: Get $100 for purchasing an electric vehicle (EV).
All full-time and part-time employees are eligible for the program. Regular volunteers are eligible for Commuter Club Quarterly Drawings, Ride Match Roulette and Transit Bandit incentives.
How do I track my trips?
Many of the program incentives require you to track your commute trips in our easy-to-use Trip Tracker, which provides a handy text-based reminder system to easily track your commute and become eligible for program benefits and prizes!
How does the Emergency Ride Home program work?
The Marin Emergency Ride Home (ERH) Program provides a free ride home in cases of emergency for employees who use alternative transportation, such as carpooling, van-pooling, public transit, bicycling, and walking.
If an emergency arises (like when child is sick, bike got a flat tire, carpool partner left early, need to work late, etc.), here’s what to do:
- Let your supervisor know .
- Call a taxi, Lyft, or Uber.
- Pay for the trip, then submit this form to be reimbursed. Reimbursement will be provided by the Marin ERH program.
This program is administered by the Transportation Authority of Marin. Like everything else in life, there are rules, check them out.
In the event that the trip home is longer than what the TAM reimbursement allows, the City will supplement the rest. Contact Jennifer for the account code to use for your reimbursement request.
Each employee can be reimbursed for up to four ERH trips per year. No single trip can exceed $125 and total reimbursement may not exceed $500 per year. See the following for more details: ERH Program.
Brought to you by the Ministry of Alternative Commute