FAQ Topic: Licenses

Do I need a business license and how do I get one?

A business license is a tax required of most businesses that conduct business within the city limits of San Rafael, even if your physical office is located outside city limits. Business license taxes help to pay for street maintenance, police and fire protection, and other services that benefit businesses and the general public. You need … Continued

How do I get a liquor license?

To sell alcoholic beverages, you’ll need a liquor license. California has four types (3 for full liquor and 1 for beer & wine only). You can find information about buying a liquor license from the California Department of Alcohol & Beverage Control (ABC). The nearest local ABC office is in Santa Rosa, and you can call them … Continued

How do I register my vehicle?

Sorry, but you’re going to have to go to the DMV. To register a vehicle in California: Visit a local CA DMV office; the nearest are in Corte Madera and Novato. Present proof of ownership and a smog certificate. Provide proof of your ID and car insurance. Complete an Application for Title or Registration (Form … Continued

How do I get my dog licensed?

It’s important to license your dog. Not only will it help you find your dog if they get lost, it’s also required by law. Learn more about how to license your dog and fill out an application today. You’ll need a copy of your dog’s rabies vaccination, proof that your dog has been spayed or … Continued

How do I get a copy of a birth, death or marriage certificate?

Birth, death, or public marriage certificates, collectively known as vital records, can be ordered from the Marin County Recorder’s office if those documents are registered in Marin County. For information on vital records, please contact the Marin County Recorder’s office at (415) 473-7215.

How do I get a marriage license?

Marriage licenses can be obtained from the Marin County Clerk’s Office. For information on marriage licenses, please contact the Marin County Clerk’s office at (415) 473-7215.

What are the city dog ordinances?

San Rafael has a few rules in place for our furry friends. All dogs are required to have a dog license. This helps other people know your dog is vaccinated and helps you find your pet if they are lost. Unless at a dog park, please keep your dog on a leash when not on your own property. Also … Continued

How do I renew my vehicle registration?

Californians must renew their vehicles’ registration annually, as required by the CA Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). Registration fees provide funding for such things as the building and upkeep of streets and highways, the California Highway Patrol, and local county departments. You can renew online, in-person, by mail or telephone at (800) 921-1117. You must … Continued

How do I get a driver’s license?

You can get a California Driver’s License at the Department of Motor Vehicles. The nearest DMV offices are in Corte Madera and Novato.

Close window