How do I get a liquor license?

To sell alcoholic beverages, you’ll need a liquor license. California has four types (3 for full liquor and 1 for beer & wine only). You can find information about buying a liquor license from the California Department of Alcohol & Beverage Control (ABC). The nearest local ABC office is in Santa Rosa and you can call them at (707) 576-2165. Your business may also require special review and approvals from the City of San Rafael. Contact us and we’ll let you know.

Temporary licenses can also be obtained for events. You’ll need to collect signatures from the property owner, Police Department and the City Manager’s office.

Close window