FAQ Topic: Short-Term Rental Program

Parking Plan Requirements

Short-term Rentals are allowed on properties where vehicle access is shared between neighbors. If you live on a property like this you must provide a “Parking Plan” when you register your property to be used as a short-term rental. A “Parking Plan”  must document how the  Short-Term Rental will avoid encumbering parking.  Documentation may include: … Continued

Short-Term Registration Requirements

Property Registration Checklist Property Information. All properties will need to provide the following property information: Primary Resident Name and Contact Information Documentation of Primary Residency 24-Hour Local Emergency Contact  Property Address Type of Short-Term Rental Occupancy Number of Bedrooms Number of Bathrooms Number of Designated Off-Street Parking Spaces

Interior Signage Requirements

Interior Signage. Properties offered as Short-Term Rentals shall have a clearly visible and legible notice posted on or directly adjacent to the inside of the front door, containing the following information: 24-Hour Local Emergency Contact Person Maximum number of occupants Maximum number of vehicles Off-street Parking Requirements Garbage Disposal Instructions Information regarding Fire Safety and Fire … Continued

Short-Term Rental Self-Certification Checklists

Self-Certification Safety Inspection Checklist (REQUIRED FOR ALL PROPERTIES)   Self-Certification Vegetation Inspection Checklist (Required by April 30th annually for properties in a Wildland Urban Interface) To find out if your property is in a Wildland Urban Interface visit this webpage: Wildlland-Urban Interface Map

Do I need a vegetation inspection?

Short-term Rentals on properties in a Wildland-Urban Interface (WUI) must show proof of a vegetation inspection as part of their registration. For 2020, property owners will be able to conduct a self-certified vegetation inspection, by completed a Vegetation Inspection Checklist and submitting photos of the front, back, and sides of the property. It is important … Continued

How can I file a complaint?

To file a complaint regarding a Short-Term Rental in San Rafael: Call our 24/7 Complaint Hotline at: (415) 521-3556 Submit a compliant online: Short-Term Rental Complaint Online Form  For other questions, please  contact Hector Carlos at Hector.Carlos@cityofsanrafael.org or at 415.458.5337.

What is the three-strikes policy?

Any hosts who have received three or more upheld citation violations of the program rules in a two year period, they will immediately lose the short-term rental registration.

Do I need to collect taxes for my Short-Term Rental?

Yes, the City requires hosts collect and remit Transient Occupancy Taxes (TOT) for all short-term rentals. TOT is 12% (10% City, 2% for MCBIDTA). Airbnb will directly remit the taxes to the city. All other rental site (i.e. VRBO or Turn key ) you will have to remit the tax payment yourself.   There is a … Continued

Is there a registration fee?

Yes, there is a $170 registration fee the first time you register your short-term rental. If you are renewing your registration the fee is $135.

Close window