FAQ Topic: Health

What do I do if I am homeless and I need help?

If you are homeless and you need help, there are many resources available through Marin County Health & Human Services; they can help connect you to the resources that are most appropriate for your needs. Call their assistance line at 1 (415) 457-4636. If it is an emergency, please call 9-1-1.

What should I do if I see someone panhandling?

Rather than providing money or food, you can always make eye contact and say hello to someone in need.  If someone does need emergency services like food, St. Vincent’s  is open for breakfast, lunch and to-go meals 365 days a year. You can also put your change to work at purple parking meters throughout the City. The … Continued

Will I receive a bill for ambulance transportation?

Yes, the Fire Department will send you a bill with a health insurance information request form, so that we can bill your health insurance for the transport. For Residents who pay the paramedic tax any charges not covered by your insurance will be covered by the paramedic tax. For non-paramedic tax paying residents, after a … Continued

Where is the nearest hospital?

The two nearest hospitals with emergency rooms are: Kaiser at 99 Montecillo Road in San Rafael Marin General Hospital at 250 Bon Air Road in Greenbrae

What can I do if I’m bothered by someone smoking?

If you feel comfortable, you can ask the person smoking to stop and let them know it’s against the law in San Rafael (if they are smoking in a place where it’s not allowed). If you live in a housing unit that shares a wall with another, you can contact your landlord, property owner, or … Continued

Who handles enforcement of San Rafael’s smoking laws?

Landlords and property owners are required to enforce housing related smoking laws through lease agreements. The County of Marin’s Health and Human Services assists with enforcement. You can reach them at (415) 473-3020. Outdoor smoking laws are trickier to enforce. Although police officers have the ability to issue warnings and citations, they are typically engaged … Continued

How do I find out if my apartment complex has a no smoking policy?

San Rafael law prohibits smoking in all apartment and condo complexes (if your home shares a wall with another home – you can’t smoke there). A housing complex is only allowed to create outdoor smoking areas if they meet certain criteria. Landlords and property managers are required to enforce this law through lease agreements. For … Continued

Where is smoking prohibited in San Rafael?

Smoking is prohibited in all of Downtown San Rafael, our parks and open space, and within any housing that shares a wall with another unit (apartments, condos and duplexes). More information can be found at www.cityofsanrafael.org/smokefree and www.smokefreemarin.com.

Who comes to my house when I call 9-1-1?

If the call is about a fire or a medical emergency, firefighter paramedics are the first responders to your home when you call 9-1-1. Since fire stations are located in neighborhoods throughout the City, the firefighter paramedics can reach your home quickly. If you need to go to the hospital, we’ll get you there.  If … Continued

How do I report food safety concerns?

The County of Marin inspects and permits all retail food facilities in Marin. You can search food safety inspection results online (mobile version). You can report a concern about food safety in a public facility by calling the County of Marin Environmental Health Services at 415-473-6907. The office is open Monday – Friday 8 a.m. until 4 p.m. … Continued

Close window