Learn  about facility hours and city services during COVID-19

Debris Boxes and PODS

A Minor Temporary Encroachment Permit is required for all debris boxes and portable on demand storage containers (PODS) placed on the street. Please note that an encroachment permit is not required if the box or PODS is placed on private property such as in a driveway and does not encroach on the sidewalk or right of way. We highly encourage property owners to explore these options prior to requesting a Minor Temporary Encroachment Permit.

Requirements for a Minor Temporary Encroachment Permit for a Debris Box/PODs:

  • Review of the location so the box/PODS is placed in a safe location that does not block line of sight for motorist and pedestrians and allows enough room in the street for first responders. Bike lanes and other bicycle and pedestrian facilities cannot be blocked.
  • Box/PODS must be adequately insured and the business issuing the box must have an active City of San Rafael Business License.
  • No Parking signs must be posted at least 72 hours prior to delivery of the box/PODS. No Parking signs are provided by the City of San Rafael Parking Services Division.
  • Box/PODS may not be placed on the street for more than 2 weeks.
  • No more than one box/PODS per site may be used at one time.
Close window