FAQ Topic: Special Events

Can a special event permit be denied?

Yes. Special Event Permit applications may be denied for reasons including, but not limited to incomplete or false information on the application or substantial interruption to traffic. 8.10.040 S.R.M.C.

When is an encroachment permit required?

An Encroachment Permit from the City of San Rafael is required any time someone encroaches on the public right of way. For information about encroachment permits contact Public Works. City of San Rafael Public Works Encroachment Permits Webpage Contact Public Works via Email Telephone: (415) 485-3355.

When is a daily license required from Alcohol Beverage Control (ABC)?

A nonprofit organization selling donated or purchased alcohol at a special event is required to obtain a Daily License from the California Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control. Click (here) for ABC. https://www.abc.ca.gov/licensing/license-forms/form-abc-221-instructions/  The alcohol may be sold by the glass or included in a door charge or other donation; it cannot be given away free. … Continued

Are there special rules and regulations for San Rafael City Plaza?

The City of San Rafael developed the San Rafael City Plaza (the Plaza) as a public gathering space. It is the City’s goal to permit events and assemblies in the Plaza that serve the general public and respect the right of free speech. The City must, however, manage the use of the Plaza regarding activities … Continued

When is insurance required?

Public Liability Insurance in the minimum of $1,000,000 with the City of San Rafael named as “Additionally Insured” shall be provided to protect the City from loss, liabilities, damages and/or injuries to persons and property attending the permitted use. Special circumstances may require up to 2,000,000 of coverage.

Is an event permit required for a block party?

Yes. A block party, defined as a gathering on a residential street which requires the closure of a street or portion of the street to vehicular traffic, typically occurs on a dead-end street, cul-de-sac, or court. In addition to the Special Event Permit Application, you must also acquire written permission from all the neighbors affected … Continued

Can the City of San Rafael assist with security or traffic control?

If the event requires police department staffing due to road closures or site security, police department personnel will be required. The sponsor of the event shall be required to prepay the estimated costs of providing the officers prior to the issuance of the event permit. The personnel fees will be calculated by determining the number … Continued

What are the fees associated with a special event?

Application and processing fee $80.00 for standard/commercial events $40.00 for non-profit fundraising events Police Services – Security, Traffic Control: When Police Services are required, the charge is $100.00 per hour per officer City of San Rafael Encroachment permit,  if applicable, fees vary depending on the event. Visit: cityofsanrafael.org/encroachment-permits City of San Rafael Business License, if … Continued

When should the special event permit application be turned in?

Special Event Permit applications and all supporting documents must be received not less than (90) days prior to the event date. Applications submitted fewer than 90 days prior to the event date may be denied. Do not include payment with the application; the event sponsor will be invoiced by the Police Department after the permit … Continued

When is a special event permit required?

A Special Event Permit is required to be obtained from the Police Department by any person or group desiring to sponsor a parade, athletic event, or other special event on a city street, sidewalk, or other city owned land or improvements within the city limits. 19.30.050 S.R.M.C. A Special Event Permit is not required for the … Continued

Close window