Please note:  City Hall and most departments/facilities will be closed from December 23rd through January 2nd. We will resume all services on Tuesday, January 3, 2023.

When is a daily license required from Alcohol Beverage Control (ABC)?

A nonprofit organization selling donated or purchased alcohol at a special event is required to obtain a Daily License from the California Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control. Click (here) for ABC.  The alcohol may be sold by the glass or included in a door charge or other donation; it cannot be given away free.

A winery or brewery may assist in pouring alcohol outside of their premises only if a nonprofit organization sponsors the event and obtains a Daily License.

A private person hosting a special event does not need to obtain a Daily License, as long as the event is not open to the public, the alcohol and the event admission are free, and the premises is not a restaurant, bar, winery or brewery (23399.1 B&P Code).

Sponsoring organizations are responsible for the conduct of the special event. Contact the California Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control (707)576-2165 for further information.


Close window