Pride Flag

The City of San Rafael celebrates Pride Month

Do I need an encroachment permit?

Encroachment permits are required if you plan to do any construction work in the public right-of-way. Meaning, any work in the sidewalk area, in an easement, on city owned property (median islands, parks, city facilities) or in the street. Common reasons you’ll need one:

  • Utility saw-cuts
  • Excavation
  • News stands
  • Bicycle racks
  • Sidewalk dining
  • Debris boxes
  • Fences/walls
  • Construction staging
  • Storing/staging materials

An encroachment permit ensures all applicable standards and applications are followed and that work is done safely with minimal impact to nearby property and pedestrian, bicycle, and vehicle travel.

Close window