The existing sidewalk along Francisco Boulevard East is utilized daily by pedestrians and bicyclists that must navigate the congestion of fire hydrants and power poles. This project will install an 8‐foot‐wide sidewalk/bike pathway on Francisco Boulevard East between Vivian Street and Grand Avenue.
Design, utility and private property coordination was completed at the end of summer 2019. City staff has coordinated with Caltrans as required for authorization to proceed with the construction phase.
Construction began at the beginning of July, 2020. Construction operations will be broken into five Phases in an attempt to minimize traffic congestion and impact on local businesses. During construction there will be some day-time work and some night-time work with temporary traffic diversions.
Two-way pedestrian and bicycle traffic will be maintained on Francisco Blvd East throughout duration of all construction operations and as well as continuous access to driveways.
Goals for Project
- Provide a wider sidewalk for pedestrian and bicycle
- Provide connectivity between the Grand Avenue Bridge and wider sidewalk south of Vivian
- Replace San Rafael Sanitation District main line
- Construct Sidewalk project
- Design Francisco Blvd East Resurfacing Project
- Hire contractor to construct resurfacing project Spring/Summer 2021
- Improve pedestrian and bicycle safety by providing a wider sidewalk
Planning and Coordination September 2018 – January 2020 Construction Bidding & Award January 2020 – June 2020 Construction July 2020 – June 2021 Street Resurfacing June 2021 - August 2021
|Planning and Coordination||September 2018 – January 2020|
|Construction Bidding & Award||January 2020 – June 2020|
|Construction||July 2020 – June 2021|
|Street Resurfacing||June 2021 - August 2021|