Free Indoor Compost Bin Program
What is the compost bin program?
In an effort to support compliance with the mandatory composting law AB 1826, the City of San Rafael, in partnership with Zero Waste Marin, is awarding businesses that sign up with Marin Sanitary’s commercial composting service up to $600 in free indoor composting bins.
Why do I need to sign up for composting?
State law AB 1826 all businesses that generate two or more cubic yards of commercial solid waste per week to enroll in services to collect organic material separately from other waste. Two cubic yards is about the size of a small (6 foot x 3 foot x 3 foot) dumpster. Organic material includes food waste, landscape trimmings, clean wood and lumber, and unlined paper like cardboard and paper towels. Businesses that do not comply with the regulations will receive financial penalties starting in 2024.
Who is eligible? (businesses must meet both of the following requirements)
- San Rafael businesses that are currently non-compliant with AB 1826 composting laws, but are in the process of signing up for composting services through Marin Sanitary Service.
For any questions or concerns about eligibility, please email Carlos Hernandez.
What do I have to do to get the free indoor composting bins?
Step 1: Sign up for Marin Sanitary’s commercial composting service. To do so, please reach out to Marin Sanitary Service @ 415-456-2601 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Step 2: After signing up with Marin Sanitary, you can then fill out the application to order the bins. The application shouldn’t take longer than 10 minutes: application link.
Step 3: Shortly after ordering your bins, a Marin Sanitary Service representative will reach out to schedule an on-site visit to help you get your bins setup properly, provide educational material, and answer any waste-related questions that you may have.
For any other questions or concerns about the program, e-mail Carlos Hernandez.
What bins are available?
Each qualifying business is eligible to receive up to $600 in free indoor green bins. We just ask that you help us to benefit more local businesses by only ordering the amount of bins that you actually need.
Please refer to this table below for the available bin options
Advantages of this bin
|Desk side 7 gallon bin
10.5"W x 14.25"L x 15"H
|23-Gallon Slim Jim Container with Charcoal Lid
11"W x 20"L x 30"H
|$114 for bin
$102 for dolley
|12-Gallon Step-On Bin
|15”L x 16.25”W x 23.63”H
|2.25-Gallon Portable Kitchen Compost Bin
|9"W x 8.5"L x 11"H
|$15 for bin
$7 for optional set of carbon filters
When can I apply and when will I get my bins?
The application will remain open until funds run out. If you want to ensure that you get your bins, get signed up with Marin Sanitary and fill out your application ASAP!
Applications will be reviewed once a week, and shipping times range from 3-5 business days, so once you've submitted your application, you can expect to receive a call from MSS to schedule your bin install and site visit after a total of 5-10 business days from submitting your application
Other Requirements to Get Your Bins Set-Up
While you're waiting for your bins to arrive, we do require that you take these four simple steps to ensure that your bins are used to their full potential. All of this material will also be sent out in a post-application e-mail.
Marin Sanitary Service/City of San Rafael Site Visit
- To ensure proper usage of the composting bins at your site, we require that you allow a Marin Sanitary Service employee and potentially a City Employee come out to help get your bins get set-up and provide relevant educational material. You can expect a call/e-mail from Carlos Hernandez from Marin Sanitary Service to arrange this visit in the coming days. This visit will be performed in a COVID-19 safe manner.
- If you’d like to arrange your own visit, please reach out to Marin Sanitary Service at 415-456-2601 or email@example.com
2. Communicate Educational Material to Employees
- To educate your employees about what can and cannot go in the bins, we ask that you please send out educational material about composting in Marin. This can be done in person, over e-mail, or any other medium that you prefer.
- Example e-mail that you can use to send out to employees: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pq31q8Rk90GUDYL_hKbq8duPzFBHDLpB/view?usp=sharing
- We’ve found this training guide from Redwood Landfill (the local composting site in Marin) to be particularly helpful: https://redwoodlandfill.wm.com/compost/index.jsp#tips2
- Bonus: this guide also has some great tips about how to keep your compost bins clean!
3. Post Flyers/Posters on Indoor Compost Bins to Clearly Label Them
- To promote continued proper usage of your indoor composting bins, we’d also ask that you print out and post flyers/stickers on your bins that clearly show what goes in the bins. Both of these links below also have flyers for your other landfill and recycling bins so that you can keep the labels consistent!
- Marin Sanitary Service’s flyers: https://marinsanitaryservice.com/resources/flyers-and-posters/
- City of San Rafael’s Flyers: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1Rm2C4QC7-JKnCZ9RmNwLr0s97r3LI5Iw?usp=sharing
4. Check Outdoor Compost Bin After First Week
- After your first week of composting at your business, we’d like to ask that you also do quick visual check of your outdoor landfill and compost bins to see if everyone at your site is sorting their organics properly. If you notice a lot of non-compostable material in your compost bin or a lot of compostable material in your landfill bin, we’d ask that you please re-educate your employees about proper composting practices.
If the application link is closed, the program funds have run out.
If the application link is closed that means that we have unfortunately run out of funds at this time to support the program. We would love to support as many businesses as possible, but there is only so much money set aside to fund the program. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused you and/or your business.