What is the compost bin program?
In an effort to help support compliance with the mandatory composting law, AB 1826, the City of San Rafael, in partnership with Zero Waste Marin, is awarding businesses that sign up with Marin Sanitary’s commercial composting service up to $600 in free indoor composting bins.
Why do I need to sign up for composting?
State law AB 1826 currently requires all businesses that produce over a combined two cubic yards of solid waste (total of trash, recycling, and organics) per week to sign up for composting services. For reference, two cubic yards is about the size of a full-size pickup truck bed or 6 feet X 3 feet X 3 feet.
Starting January 2022, a new composting law known as SB 1383 will begin rolling into place. This more comprehensive law will require all businesses, regardless of weekly solid waste output, to sign up for composting services. Businesses that do not comply with the regulations will receive financial penalties starting in 2024.
Who is eligible? (businesses must meet both of the following requirements)
- San Rafael businesses that are currently non-compliant with mandatory composting laws, but are in the process of signing up for composting services through Marin Sanitary Service.
- San Rafael businesses with fewer than 50 employees
Please note that businesses eligible for Marin Sanitary’s Food 2 Energy program are already entitled to receive two free indoor bins from Marin Sanitary and are therefore not eligible to receive bins from the City’s free indoor composting bin program
For any questions or concerns about eligibility, please e-mail Travis Osland
What do I have to do to get the free indoor composting bins?
Step 1: Sign up for Marin Sanitary’s commercial composting service. To do so, please reach out to Marin Sanitary Service @ 415-456-2601 or email@example.com.
Step 2: After signing up with Marin Sanitary, you can then fill out the application to order the bins. The application shouldn’t take longer than 10 minutes: application link.
Step 3: Shortly after ordering your bins, a Marin Sanitary Service representative will reach out to schedule an on-site visit to help you get your bins setup properly, provide educational material, and answer any waste-related questions that you may have.
For any other questions or concerns about the program, e-mail Travis Osland
What bins are available?
Each qualifying business is eligible to receive up to $600 in free indoor green bins. We just ask that you help us to benefit more local businesses by only ordering the amount of bins that you actually need.
Please refer to this table below for the available bin options
Advantages of this bin
|Desk side 7 gallon bin||7 Gallons |
10.5" w x 14.25" l x 15" h
|23-Gallon Slim Jim Container with Charcoal Lid |
|23 Gallons |
11" w x 20" l x 30" h
|$124 for bin |
$80 for dolley
|12-Gallon Step-On Bin||15”L x 16.25”W x 23.63”H||$120|
|2.25-Gallon Portable Kitchen Compost Bin||9" w x 8.5" l x 11" h||$10 for bin |
$6 for optional set of carbon filters
When can I apply and when will I get my bins?
The application will remain open until funds run out or until May 31st, whichever comes first. If you want to ensure that you get your bins, get signed up with Marin Sanitary and fill out your application ASAP!
Applications will be reviewed once a week, and shipping times range from 3-5 business days, so once you've submitted your application, you can expect to receive the bins within a total of 5-10 business days
Other Requirements to Get Your Bins Set-Up
While you're waiting for your bins to arrive, we do require that you take these four, relatively painless steps to ensure that your bins are used to their full potential. All of this material will also be sent out in a post-application e-mail.
Marin Sanitary Service/City of San Rafael Site Visit
- To ensure proper usage of the composting bins at your site, we require that you allow a Marin Sanitary Service employee and potentially a City Employee come out to help get your bins get set-up and provide relevant educational material. You can expect a call/e-mail from Ruben Hernandez from Marin Sanitary Service to arrange this visit in the coming days. This visit will be performed in a COVID-19 safe manner.
- If you’d like to arrange your own visit, please reach out to Marin Sanitary Service at 415-456-2601 or firstname.lastname@example.org
2. Communicate Educational Material to Employees
- To educate your employees about what can and cannot go in the bins, we ask that you please send out educational material about composting in Marin. This can be done in person, over e-mail, or any other medium that you prefer.
- Example e-mail that you can use to send out to employees: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pq31q8Rk90GUDYL_hKbq8duPzFBHDLpB/view?usp=sharing
- We’ve found this training guide from Redwood Landfill (the local composting site in Marin) to be particularly helpful: https://redwoodlandfill.wm.com/compost/index.jsp#tips2
- Bonus: this guide also has some great tips about how to keep your compost bins clean!
3. Post Flyers/Posters on Indoor Compost Bins to Clearly Label Them
- To promote continued proper usage of your indoor composting bins, we’d also ask that you print out and post flyers/stickers on your bins that clearly show what goes in the bins. Both of these links below also have flyers for your other landfill and recycling bins so that you can keep the labels consistent! Marin Sanitary’s flyers are a bit more thorough, but we think our own flyers we use at the City are a bit more aesthetically pleasing
- Marin Sanitary Service’s flyers: https://marinsanitaryservice.com/resources/flyers-and-posters/
- City of San Rafael’s Flyers: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1Rm2C4QC7-JKnCZ9RmNwLr0s97r3LI5Iw?usp=sharing
4. Check Outdoor Compost Bin After First Week
- After your first week of composting at your business, we’d like to ask that you also do quick visual check of your outdoor landfill and compost bins to see if everyone at your site is sorting their organics properly. If you notice a lot of non-compostable material in your compost bin or a lot of compostable material in your landfill bin, we’d ask that you please re-educate your employees about proper composting practices.
If the application link is closed before May 31, the program funds have run out.
If the application link is closed that means that we have unfortunately run out of funds at this time to support the program. We would love to support as many businesses as possible, but there is only so much money set aside to fund the program. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused you and/or your business.