FAQ Topic: Amnesty Program

What happens if my improvement cannot be permitted?

In many cases, the work can be permitted, however there is a possibility that the work cannot be permitted because of workmanship, setback violations, location in drainage ways or adding a second non-conforming residence. In those cases, a demo permit would be required to remove the unpermitted work to bring the property into compliance.

What type of work needs a permit?

Our adopted ordinance states: “The provisions of this code shall apply to the construction, alteration, movement, enlargement, replacement, repair, equipment, use and occupancy, location, maintenance, removal and demolition of every building or structure or any appurtenances connected or attached to such buildings or structures”. Please see San Rafael’s Title 12 for a list of work … Continued

How long does it take to get a permit?

The time to get a permit issued varies. Some permits can be issued the same day, over the counter and others require that the plans be left for review.

How do I obtain a permit?

Please check our web site http://www.cityofsanrafael.org/building for the appropriate handout and application. If you have any questions, please call (415) 485-3367 and our staff will be able to assist you through the submittal process. There is a flow chart attached to this document for a typical permit process for work done without a permit.

What projects are covered by amnesty?

Currently this program is for residential homes only including single family, duplexes, triplexes, and townhomes. Multi-family and apartments over three units and commercial properties are not included in this program at this time.

Will my taxes increase if I permit this work?

The Marin County Tax Assessor generates their property valuations based on their own policy and procedures that include neighborhood reconnaissance and site evaluations of properties.  San Rafael does share complaint and permit information with the Assessor to generate site inspections.

Close window