The City of San Rafael will be sending out weekly project updates with construction updates, traffic closure updates, and other relevant information for this project. To receive these updates, please sign up using the form at the left-hand side of the project website.
**ATTENTION: LANE SHIFTS & UPCOMING NIGHTWORK**
- LANE SHIFT
- Starting Friday, May 20, traffic lanes on Second Street between E Street and Miramar Avenue will be shifted north
- NIGHTWORK to resume on May 31
Motorists are advised to drive with caution and follow all posted directional signals.
For more information on the upcoming lane shifts and nightwork, please read the update below:
THIS WEEK (May 16 – May 20):
- Marin Municipal Water District (MMWD) waterline service connections installed along Third Street at Cijos Street, from Lincoln Street to Lindaro Street, and from A Street to C Street
- Completed waterline main tie-ins at Third Street & D Street
- Continued potholing to locate existing underground utilities at all the intersections for Second Street and Fourth Street, in addition to B Street in preparation for horizontal directional drilling for the new fiber optic cable to serve the San Rafael Community Center located on B Street
- Potholing for locating existing utilities and performed CCTV inspections on Ida Street, G Street, and Second Street between Ida Street and Marquard Avenue for the San Rafael Sanitation District
- The sanitary sewer replacement by open trench method started on Second Street at Ida Street
- Modifications to the left turn pocket at Fourth Street and W Crescent Drive
NEXT WEEK (May 23 – May 28):
- Installation of conduit by horizontal directional drilling at the intersection of Third Street & Lootens Place and Second Street & Fourth Street
- This work will require removing some sections of the sidewalk to excavate boring pits
- Safe pedestrian passage will be maintained around the boring pits
- Continued potholing to locate existing utilities along Third Street between Lootens Place and A Street in preparation for horizontal directional drilling for the new fiber optic cables
- Installation of new water service connections for residences and businesses on Third Street from Lincoln Street to Lindaro Street, and on Ritter Street
- New waterline main tie-ins will be performed at the intersections of Third Street & A Street, Third Street & B Street, and at Lindaro Street, Lootens Place, and Lincoln Avenue
- Sanitary sewer rehabilitation:
- Installation of new sewer pipe, by open trench method, from a manhole at Ida Street and Second Street, trenching across Second Street, and then for the next two weeks installing sewer pipe in the eastbound lanes of Second Street from Ida Street to Marquard Avenue
- Beginning Monday, May 23, traffic lanes on Second Street between E Street and Miramar Avenue will be shifted north in preparation of the construction of the retaining wall along this section of Second Street
- Contractor will be placing traffic barriers and working in the eastbound curb of Second Street between Ida Street and Miramar Avenue, excavating for the new retaining wall at this location
- Nightwork will resume on May 31, in order to:
- Pothole to locate existing utilities on Third Street from Lincoln Avenue to Irwin Street
- Install waterline from San Rafael High School to Irwin Street
- For the lane shift on Second Street, motorists should be aware of changed conditions and be alert
- Traffic controls (temporary signs, message boards, traffic cones, delineators and detour signs) will be put in place to direct motorists through the work area
- Curb parking spaces will be marked “No Parking”
- There will be intermittent lane closures on Third Street and detours on A Street, B Street, C Street, D Street, and E Street
- For businesses in this section of Second Street, the City’s contractor, Ghilotti Bros. Inc., will help facilitate deliveries by providing traffic controls and flagging
The hours of work will be 6 am – 6 pm and lane closures 6 am – 3 pm on Third Street and Second Street eastbound, and 9 am – 6 pm on Second Street westbound.
Click on the map below to go to an interactive map:
For more information, visit the project website or contact the City at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note: all estimated timelines are tentative and subject to change.