The City of San Rafael will be sending out weekly project updates with construction updates, traffic closure updates, and other relevant information for this project. To receive these updates, please sign up using the form at the left-hand side of the project website.
The City of San Rafael has begun an extensive 18-month Third Street improvement project to upgrade safety, infrastructure, and traffic needs for this vital thoroughfare. Third Street is a critical component of San Rafael’s transportation network and it serves tens of thousands of residents on a daily basis as they travel to work, school, recreation, and retail destinations. The City of San Rafael received an allocation from the Transportation Authority of Marin (TAM) through the Measure A program to rehabilitate Third Street. While this work will be an inconvenience for the short term, this necessary rehabilitation will dramatically improve the quality of life for the community when completed.
The Third Street Safety project construction agreement was awarded to Ghilotti Bros. Inc. by the City Council on Monday, April 18.
THIS WEEK (April 18 – April 22):
- MMWD waterline connections at A Street, B Street, C Street, D Street, and E Street.
- Completed installation of water lines on Third Street between Lindaro and Brooks Street
- Hauling the stockpile soil on Lindaro. This involved loading trucks and increased truck traffic on Lindaro.
- Completed installing the new MMWD waterline from Hayes Street and Third Street
- Continued potholing to locate existing underground utilities at all the intersections for Second and Third Street. Also installed conduits using horizontal directional drilling, which requires removing some sections of the sidewalk to excavate boring pits at the intersections of Third Street & A Street and Third Street and Brooks Street
NEXT WEEK (April 25 – April 29):
- Installation of conduit by horizontal directional drilling on Third Street & Brooks Street and Third Street & Shaver Street. This work will require removing some sections of the sidewalk to excavate boring pits. Safe pedestrian passage will be maintained around this boring pits. The sidewalk will be temporary patched with asphalt. Also, pothole investigations to locate underground utilities at Third Street and Shaver Street.
- The construction of the retaining wall along Second Street between East Street and Miramar will begin. It is anticipated that on the week of April 25 the lanes on Second Street will be shifted northward and lane channelizers/delineators will be installed to reestablish lanes in the east and westbound directions. Curb parking will be posted “No Parking.”
- Installation of the new fire hydrant at Third and Hayes Street will be completed. New water service connections for residences and businesses on Third from E Street to D Street will be installed. The new water main connection at Cijos will be completed. Trench excavation for new water main tie in will be performed at the intersections of Third and Lootens Place, A Street, and E Street.
- Traffic Controls (temporary signs, message boards, traffic cones, delineators and detour signs) will be put in place to direct motorists through the work area.
- Curb parking spaces will be marked “No Parking.”
- There will be intermittent lane closures on Third Street and detours on A Street, B Street, C Street, D Street, and E Street. For businesses in this section of Second Street Ghilotti Bros. Inc., will help facilitate deliveries by providing traffic controls and flagging.
The hours of work will be 6:00am – 6:00pm and lane closures 6:00am – 3:00pm on Third Street and Second Street eastbound, and 9:00am – 6:00pm on Second Street westbound.
Nightwork is tentatively scheduled for Sunday, May 8.
Please note: all estimated timelines are tentative and subject to change.