The City of San Rafael requires owners of residential properties to provide certain assistance to low-income tenants who are displaced from their residences due to a development project or property improvement.
Additionally, the City of San Rafael requires owners of residential properties in Census Tract 1122.01, shown in the map below, to provide certain assistance to tenants who are displaced from their residences due to “no fault” terminations of their tenancies.
Summary points and links to additional information on the two policies are provided below.
For more information:
*As defined by the most current Marin County median family income schedule published by the Marin County Housing Authority, specifying the range of household size and the maximum, annual household income for each household size to qualify as low-income. See the Marin County HUD Median Family Income Schedule for FY 2022.
U.S. CENSUS TRACT 1122.01
Tenant households occupying a dwelling unit located within U.S. Census Tract 1122.01, shown in the shaded areas of the map below, may be eligible for relocation assistance if they have continually occupied a dwelling unit for a period of 30 days or more.
RELOCATION ASSISTANCE IN OPPORTUNITY ZONES
The relocation assistance payment amount the landlord is legally required to pay the tenant includes:
- First and Last Month’s Rent. This is based on federal calculation of “fair market rent” or if your rent is higher, it is based on your actual rent amount.
- Security Deposit. Payment is one month of your monthly rent.
- Moving Expenses. Payment is based on number of bedrooms.
- Daily Stipend. A daily stipend for each day to pay for meals, hotels, etc. = $150 per day
- Extra Payments. Extra payment equal to 1-month fair market rent, if any of the following apply:
- Households with at least one minor child(ren)
- Households with at least one elderly individual 62 or older
- Households with at least one disabled individual
The following chart shows how much money the landlord is required by law to pay the tenant based on how many bedrooms are in the tenant’s apartment.
For additional details on the requirements pertaining to these policies, please refer to the San Rafael Municipal Code. For questions, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.