On the morning of 11/27, fire units were dispatched to a report of smoke seen coming from a Caltrans administrative office building by motorists passing by that called 911. Upon arrival, fire crews determined that there was active fire coming from the back of the building and that the fire had extended to the interior area.
It was quickly determined that the building was unoccupied as, due to the early hour, employees had not yet arrived for work. The fire was brought under control in approximately 20 minutes. There were no injuries.
The structure sustained substantial damage and is most likely a complete loss. There is no monetary damage estimate.
Fire crews were able to determine that the fire began at an electrical panel on the outside of the back wall and spread into the rear portion of the office area. There was significant fire damage to the back half of the office space with extensive smoke, heat, and water damage to the front interior portion. The exterior walls and roof also sustained significant damage.