Update on Staff Report:
Since our May community meetings, Staff has been working on incorporating your feedback into our report to City Council.
Staff is preparing to return to City Council at the Monday, August 5th City Council Meeting starting at 7pm in the Council Chambers at San Rafael City Hall. At this time, Staff is preparing the Short Term Rental item as an informational report outlining the community outreach and presenting a menu of potential regulations for consideration.
Please visit the Public Meetings page for further meeting details and agenda: https://www.cityofsanrafael.org/public-meetings/.
May Community Meetings:
From March 22nd to April 22nd, over 400 residents took our online survey on their experience and opinions with Short-Term Rentals. Two public meetings were held to review the results of the recent community survey and to get feedback. These meetings were held:
- May 29th, 2019 from 7:00pm-9:00pm at the Loch Lomond Yacht Club- 95 Loch Lomond Drive, San Rafael, CA 94901
- May 30th, 2019 from 7:30pm-9:00pm at the San Rafael Community Center- 618 B Street, San Rafael, CA 94901
Unable to attend? Download the presentation here: Short Term Rental Community Survey Findings
Staff is currently underway in conducting broad community outreach to get community feedback on potential Short Term Rental regulation. This outreach includes robust online engagement and stakeholder meetings with neighborhood groups, HOAs, and short term rental hosts. Please check this website for updates on these efforts as well as information on any upcoming meetings.
Update from February 19th City Council Meeting:
An informational report on Short Term Rental policy options was presented at the Tuesday, February 19th City Council Meeting. At this meeting, Council requested that Staff conduct the following:
- Further analysis on the impacts of Short Term Rental on the housing stock in San Rafael ;
- Further analysis on Accessory Dwelling Unit (ADU) and Junior Dwelling Unit use as Short Term Rentals;
- Expanded Community Outreach on Short-Term Rental Approaches, Regulations, Best Practices and Options.
- To view the February 19th, City Council Agenda, click here
- To view the Informational Report on Short-Term Rental Approaches, Regulations, Best Practices and Options, click here
What is a Short Term Rental?
A short-term residential rental is a rental of all or a portion of your home for periods of less than 30 nights.
Are Short Term Rentals allowed in San Rafael?
San Rafael does not currently regulate short-term rentals in private homes. Staff does monitor short-term rental activity and respond to complaints.
Will San Rafael change how it regulates Short Term Rentals?
On August 20th, 2018, City Council directed staff to return with potential actions regarding regulating Short Term Rentals. Staff is currently working on an informational report for the City Council outlining potential Short Term Rental policy options.
Who should I contact if I have questions?
Please contact Ethan Guy via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or over the phone at 415.458.2392
- Overview of leading regulatory and enforcement approaches used by local governments to achieve common short-term rental related policy objectives
- Short-Term Rentals in San Rafael