What Are Some Things I Can Do to Harden My Home and Protect Against Ember Ignitions?
- Clean roofs, gutters, and vents of dead leaves, pine needles, and debris.
- Enclose or cover gaps over 1/8 inch with metal mesh. This includes vents, eaves, and soffits.
- Screen or box in areas under patios and decks to prevent debris from accumulating. Remove anything stored underneath.
- Move combustible material away from exterior walls.
- Prevent ember penetration: Seal gaps around openings and reaffix missing shingles.
- Install spark arrester on chimneys (even if the chimney is not used).
- Consider replacing or treating combustible building materials, such as wood shingles, wood siding, and poorly maintained wood decks or steps.