ABOUT THE ROLE
The City of San Rafael is recruiting for a Civic Engagement Manager in our Department of Digital Service and Open Government. Digital works with all Departments in the City to continuously improve the delivery of services, use data to drive decision-making, and maintain a resilient technology infrastructure.
The Civic Engagement Manager will be responsible for managing the implementation of digital engagement products, guiding community engagement strategies, developing best practices for City-wide engagement, and managing related projects.
In Digital we believe government should be designed with and for people. We take a human-centered approach to modernizing City services and solving our City’s greatest challenges.
Our Department’s work includes the following focus areas:
- Civic Engagement
- Data & Insights
- Digital Transformation of our Workforce
- IT Operations and Smart Infrastructure
Some of the projects and programs our team will be working on this year include:
- Citywide Communications and Community Engagement Strategy
- Process improvement and learning management
- City performance measurement
- Digital product management
- Digital transformation – Permit Management System upgrade, Teams migration, electronic signatures, and paperless processes
- Digital equity – community broadband and Wi-Fi
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
This list is meant to be representative, not exhaustive. Some incumbents may not perform all the duties listed while in other cases related duties may also be assigned.
- Supports the City’s goal to build engagement practices that provide equitable access to City services and information.
- Develops and supports capacity building programs for communication teams to improve civic engagement.
- Manages interdepartmental technology governance for the City website and digital engagement products.
- Develops education and training programs for City departments on best practices for effective community and stakeholder engagement.
- Acts as a liaison between City departments and the Department of Department of Digital Service and Open Government to understand their operational needs around engagement.
- Understands and analyzes user experience to ensure digital services address user needs.
- Manages the design and end-to-end journey of engagement services and business processes through user-centered design.
- Recommends long-range goals and implementation plans for engagement services, programs, and projects provided by City departments.
- Serves as a member of department’s management team, and addresses City-wide policy, management and strategic issues.
- Supports the planning, preparing and administering the department’s budget.
- Strategic planning and project management
- Community engagement strategies and best practices
- Digital engagement services and emerging trends
- Website content strategy
- Principles and practices of user-centered design
- Change management
- Methods for monitoring, analyzing, and evaluating programs
- Business process improvements
- Establish and maintain a working environment conducive to positive morale, individual style, quality, creativity, and teamwork.
- Identify challenges and emerging issues faced by the organization.
- Work with management team and staff to recognize internal and external communications opportunities and solutions, and define and execute appropriate strategies to support them.
- Position the City to effectively respond to the rapidly changing technological environment.
- Takes a user-centered approach to improve the user-experience of engagement efforts and digital platforms
- Promote a culture of high performance and continuous improvement that values learning and a commitment to quality.
- Facilitate teams and leading decision-making processes in a collaborative environment.
- Manage interdepartmental committees and work programs.
- Negotiate and assess complex proposals and contracts.
- Mentor and develop staff using a supportive and collaborative approach on a consistent basis.
- Communicate well and make effective public presentations.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
Equivalent to graduation from an accredited college or university with a degree in digital engagement, communications, community engagement, marketing, public relations, public policy, public administration, or closely related field. Three years of progressively responsible experience in related field, including at least one year in a management capacity. A Master’s Degree is preferred.