1005 & 1010 Northgate Dr.
Address: 1005, 1010, 1020 and 1025 Northgate Drive
Project No.: ED16-038, UP16-018, S16-001,
LLA16-003, PTA 16-001
Applicant: Peter Stackpole, LCA Architects
590 Ygnacio Valley Rd, Suite 310
Walnut Creek, CA 94596
Project Planner: Steve Stafford
The City has received an application proposing to redevelop and subdivide two contiguous parcels, currently developed with an existing commercial building and gas station use (1005 Northgate Dr.; APN: 178-240-17) and an existing multi-room hotel building (4 Point Sheraton at 1010 Northgate Dr.; APN: 178-240-21).
The project proposes to demolish the existing commercial building and gas station and construct a new 4-story, 30-unit, residential condominium building on that portion of the site.
The project also proposes to demolish the existing hotel ‘amenities’ (restaurant, meeting rooms, etc.) building and construct two (2) new 4-story, residential condominium buildings with 48 and 58 units, respectively.
Total units proposed on both sites is 136 units; 1-, 2- and 3-bedroom units, and 30 ‘senior’ units.
On April 15, 2016, formal applications were submitted to the City for the proposed new development. At this point, the City is reviewing the project plans and studies to review and understand the project scope and determine completeness of the application.
A Neighborhood Meeting was scheduled and occurred on Wednesday, May 18, 2016 at 6pm. The purpose of this meeting was for the applicant to present the project to the community and answer questions and solicit feedback on the application. This neighborhood meeting was conducted at the Four Points Sheraton, Marin Ballroom, at 1010 Northgate Dr. This was not a city sponsored meeting, but rather a meeting the City requires that applicants for large development proposals conduct to present their project to the community, answer questions and solicit feedback. The City was in attendance to take notes on the comments. Approximately 200 persons were in attendance and the general feedback was opposition and concern with the development, primarily related to the scale and mass of the proposed development and potential impacts on traffic and schools.
On October 23, 2018, the Planning Commission will provide initial review and feedback on specific topic areas associated with the project, as requested by staff, including: 1) land use; 2) density; 3) scale; and 4) environmental findings. Staff seeks only direction from the Commission. No action (approval or denial) is requested or will be taken at this hearing. Staff and the applicant will take comments provided by the Commission to modify the project, as necessary.
The site and building design proposed by the project is scheduled to be reviewed by the Design Review Board on January 23, 2019.
Revised Project Plans, 3/30/18:
- Common Sheets A0.0 - A2.1
- Architectural Sheets 1007.0 - 1007.7
- Architectural Sheets 1020.0 - 1020.8
- Architectural Sheets 1030.0 - 1030.9
- Shadow Study Sheets SH1.1 - SH1.4
- Civil Plan Sheets C0 - C4
- Landscape Plan Sheets
Revised Project plans (full set), July 1, 2016 (large file - may take a while to download) SUPERSEDED BY 3/30/18 PLANS
Original Project Plans (submitted 4/15/16) SUPERSEDED BY 3/30/18 PLANS:
- Common Sheets A0.0 - A1.2 (Part 1 of 7)
- Architectural Sheets 1005.0 - 1005.7 (Part 2 of 7)
- Architectural Sheets 1020.0 - 1020.8 (Part 3 of 7)
- Architectural Sheets 1025.0 - 1025-8 (Part 4 of 7)
- Shadow Study Sheets SH1.1 - SH1.4 (Part 5 of 7)
- Civil Plan Sheets C0 - C4 (Part 6 of 7)
- Landscape Plan Sheet L1 - L4 (Part 7 of 7)
- Air Quality Impact Analysis, LSA Associates, Inc.; May 2018
- Studies/Biological Site Assessment- 1005-101 Northgate Drive Project, LSA Associates, Inc.; December 7, 2015
- Tree Survey Report- Northgate Drive Project, LSA Associates, Inc.; April 12, 2016
- Revised Tree Survey Report- Northgate Drive Project, LSA Associates, Inc.; May 5, 2016
- Geotechnical Investigation- Hillcrest Multi-Use Development- 1005/1020/1025 Northgate Drive, Miller-Pacific Engineering Group; January 27, 2016
- GHG Compliance Checklist, City of San Rafael, June 6, 2018
- Noise Impact Analysis, 1005-1010 Northgate Drive Project, LSA Associates, Inc.; March 2016
- Preliminary Hydrology Study For Northgate Walk, CSW/St2 Engineers; July 1, 2016
- Site Mitigation Plan for 1005 Northgate Drive, AEI Consultants Environmental and Engineering Services; June 17, 2016
- Environmental Site Assessment Four Points by Sheraton- 1010 Northgate Drive, AllWest Environmental, Inc; December 28, 2012
- Phase I Environmental Site Assessment- 1005 Northgate Drive, Odic Environmental; August 28, 2013
- Trip Generation Memo, W-Trans, August 29, 2016
- Peer Review of 8/29/16 Trip Generation and Parking Analysis Memo for 1005/1020/1025 Northgate Drive by W-Trans; Parisi Transportation Associates; October 24, 2016
- Supplemental Trip Generation Memo for Freitas Pkwy/US 101 North ramps/Civic Center by W-Trans, December 12, 2017
- Supplemental Peer Review of 12/12/17 Trip Generation and Parking Analysis Memos for 1005/1020/1025 Northgate Drive by W-Trans; Parisi Transportation Associates; January 25, 2018
- Northgate Walk Peer Review of City's Traffic Analysis by Parisi; October 18, 2018
- Northgate Walk Traffic Analysis Memo; October 18, 2018
- Traffic Modeling Analysis Memo, City’s Traffic Engineer, September 12, 2017
- Peer Review of Traffic Modeling Analysis Memo by Parisi Transportation Associates; October 14, 2016
- Northgate Walk View Studies; LCA Architects, June 30, 2016
- Parking Analysis for the Northgate San Rafael Project, W-Trans; June 30, 2016
- Parking Analysis for the Northgate San Rafael Project, W-Trans; September 14, 2016
- Revised Parking Analysis for Northgate San Rafael Project, W-Trans, December 12, 2017
These following documents are available for review at the Planning Division offices
- Preliminary Title Report for 1005 Northgate Drive, Commonwealth Land Title Company; issued June 12, 2014
- ALTA Title Report for 1010 Northgate Dr., Stewart Title Guaranty Co., issued October 9, 2012
All public comments received from Conceptual Review to 1/23/19 DRB meeting