APPLICATION DEADLINE: Apply by Sunday, February 20, 2022 for first consideration
This is the chance to help reimagine how the City of San Rafael can make better use of data. The Data Fellow will join the City at a unique inflection point on our journey to digital transformation and evidence-based public leadership. This role will have the opportunity to support management teams in making better, faster decisions, improve the way we engage with our community, and transform the way we deliver services to those who need them most. Continued appointment in this position is contingent upon funding and job performance. This is a temporary “at will” position. The individual in this position may not work more than 1,000 hours in a fiscal year (July 1 thru June 30).
If you are an optimistic and passionate leader with deep analytical and technical skill sets and have a desire to serve, this role is waiting for you!
What You’ll Do:
A City of San Rafael Data Fellow will help the Digital Service and Open Government Department create and implement a data strategy to increase the value of data both internally for staff and externally through open data. As a Data Fellow, you will:
- Work closely with other departments across the City to identify key data assets and useful ways to analyze and visualize data
- Hep departments analyze important data assets, including GIS data
- Help the Data and Insights Product Manager centralize and automate data from across the City into a data warehousing solution
- Co-create useful dashboards and reports for internal and external use with City staff
- Support the new Data Academy by training City staff on a new curriculum to empower everyone with skills and capabilities to leverage data tools in their daily work
- Coordinate data trainings for City staff throughout the year and hold office hours to assist people with training material
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to lead short trainings, coaching sessions, and translate technical concepts into plain language for all levels of learners
- Investigates ability and intellectual curiosity
- Ability to learn and embrace new technologies
- Familiar with the principles and concepts of open data
- Comfort with risk and trying new things
- Ability to work independently and as part of a small team
- Enjoys collaborative processes and developing shared understanding
- Strong organizational skills
Technical Skills and Capabilities:
- Strong quantitative analysis skills
- Proficiency working with geospatial data in ArcGIS, ERSI applications
- Proficiency working in BI tools such as Tableau and Power BI
- Experience working with databases, APIs, and formats to extract and transform data
- Experience in data manipulation, visualization, and analytical thinking
- Experience writing ETL/ELT code
- Experience in SQL
- Experience with or willingness to learn FME (a GUI based ETL tool)
- Comfortable working with productivity tools like Asana
The ideal candidate may not meet every requirement above, so we encourage applications from individuals who are a good fit – through work experience, volunteering, and other personal experiences – and who will grow and thrive in this position.
APPLICATION AND SELECTION PROCESS:
City of San Rafael application is required. Resumes do not substitute for the City application. Candidates should detail related education and experience on the application. The examination process may include the following application appraisal and oral board interview examination. Note: Prior to appointment, candidate must pass a background check, driving record, and fingerprinting. To file an application, go to: www.calopps.org. Select “Member Agencies”. Select “San Rafael”. Follow this link to submit your application: https://www.calopps.org/san-rafael/job-20206969
For more information about the City of San Rafael, please visit www.cityofsanrafael.org.
Reasonable Accommodation: The City of San Rafael will make reasonable accommodations in the exam process to accommodate disabled applicants. If you have a disability for which you require an accommodation, please contact us at (415) 485-3474 before the test date. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position. Such accommodations must be requested by the applicant.