Event & Banner Permits
If you want to organize an event, use the San Rafael City Plaza, or if you are a non-profit organization in San Rafael and want to install banners to announce your event, the City offers the following online resources:
- Parade/Assembly/City Plaza Application for Permit
- Checklist to submit Parade/Assembly/City Plaza Application
- Plaza Rules and Regulations
Vertical Banners (Poles):
We have capacity for two banners on 70 light poles from Lincoln to Second Street. This makes for a total of up to 140 banners. You may choose which poles you wish to use, and you may hang one or two banners on each light pole. Installation must be for at least one block.
Horizontal Banners (Across the Street):
1. Fourth Street and Tamalpais Avenue (east end)
2. Fourth Street and Second Street (west end)
1. The banner poles in Downtown San Rafael are for use by the City of San Rafael and any San Rafael based non-profit organization advertising an event within the City limits. The City of San Rafael may pre-empt use of the poles for a City banner at any time.
2. An application shall not be accepted more than one year in advance. Reservations begin at the start of the calendar year on a first-come-first-served basis.
3. The required fee must be paid prior to the hanging of the banner(s).
4. An Insurance Certificate for $1,000,000 liability coverage must be submitted with City of San Rafael included as Additional Insured on an Additional Insured Endorsement attached to the Certificate of Insurance.
5. Before installation, the City shall review and approve banner text, materials and colors.
6. All banners must be two-sided. Use the City’s Specifications to assist in the manufacturing of the banner(s).
7. The City will store the banner(s) unless other arrangements are made.
8. Based on space availability, banner(s) may be hung for a maximum of three weeks at a time, unless the City approves a longer period of time.
9. The City of San Rafael will not be responsible for any damaged sustained to the banner(s) due to acts of nature.
Each Horizontal Banner $275.00
Each Vertical Banner $20.00.
Make checks payable to the City of San Rafael, send to Attn: Economic Development.