Event & Banner Permits
If you want to organize an event, use the San Rafael City Plaza, or if you are a non-profit organization in San Rafael and want to install banners to announce your event, the City offers the following online resources:
- Parade/Assembly/City Plaza Application for Permit
- Checklist to submit Parade/Assembly/City Plaza Application
- Plaza Rules and Regulations
Vertical Banners (Poles):
We have capacity for two banners on 63 light poles from Tamalpais to Second Street. This makes for a total of up to 126 banners. You may choose which poles you wish to use, and you may hang one or two banners on each light pole. Installation must be for at least one block.
Horizontal Banners (Across the Street):
1. Fourth Street and Tamalpais Avenue (east end)
2. Fourth Street and Second Street (west end)
1. The banner poles in Downtown San Rafael are for use by the City of San Rafael and any San Rafael based non-profit organization advertising an event within San Rafael. The City may pre-empt use of the poles for a City banner at any time.
2. Reservation requests begin in October of the preceding calendar year on a first-come-first-served basis.
3. Fees must be paid prior to banner(s) installation.
4. A Certificate of Insurance for $1,000,000 liability coverage must be submitted. A Separate Endorsement naming the City of San Rafael as Additional Insured is required.
5. Before installation, the City shall review and approve banner text, materials and colors.
6. All banners must be two-sided. Use the City’s Specifications in the 2020 Banner Guidelines to assist in the manufacturing of the banner(s).
7. The City cannot store banner(s). Drop off and pick up is done with City staff by appointment.
8. Based on space availability, banner(s) may be hung for a maximum of three weeks at a time, unless the City approves a longer period of time.
9. The City of San Rafael will not be responsible for any damaged sustained to the banner(s) due to acts of nature.
Printable Version of Guidelines
Each Horizontal Banner $275
Each Vertical Banner $25
Make checks payable to the City of San Rafael, send to Attn: Library & Recreation Department, 618 B Street, San Rafael, CA 94901.