A Minor Temporary Encroachment Permit is required for all debris boxes and portable on demand
storage containers (PODS) placed in the City right of way.
Please note that an encroachment permit is not required if the box or PODS is placed on private
property such as in a driveway and does not encroach on the sidewalk or right of way. We highly
encourage property owners to explore these options prior to requesting a MinorTemporary Encroachment Permit.
An encroachment permit for boxes/PODS including but is not limited to the following:
• Review of the location so the box/PODS is placed in a safe location that does not block line of
sight for motorist and pedestrians and allows enough room in the street for first responders.
• Ensuring the box/PODS is adequately insured.
• Parking is posted (and paid for if necessary) at least 72 hours prior to delivery of the box/PODS.
• The box/PODS may only be stored for a reasonable amount of time, and not to exceed 2 weeks,
determined upon application for a permit.
• No more than one box/PODS will be used at one time.
Insurance requirements for the City of San Rafael are as follows:
Contractors and all other businesses must meet the minimum insurance requirements as listed in the
City of San Rafael Municipal Code 11.04.030.030 - Insurance.
General Liability for at least One Million Dollars ($1,000,000.00) and, Automobile Liability for at least One Million Dollars ($1,000,000.00). The Insurance Certificate naming the City of San Rafael as an Additional Insured along with the Endorsement page, need to be provided at the time of the permit application.
All parking spaces required for the box/PODS must be reserved and posted 72 hours in advanced.
Signage provided by the City of San Rafael Parking Services Division must be used. You will need to
provide an approved encroachment permit from Public Works to get the signs.
Other Restrictions and Notes:
• A debris box/PODS may only be placed for 2 weeks maximum.
• You may only have one debris box/PODS at a time
• The Minor Temporary Encroachment Permit fee is currently $246
• Contractors and other businesses must also have an active City of San Rafael Business License.
• Storage of hazardous materials in the right of way is strictly prohibited.
• Bike lanes and other bicycle and pedestrian facilities cannot be blocked.