Guidelines for Advisory Committee
- Purpose - The purpose of the Citizens Advisory Committee (CAC) is to advise City Council on economic development and affordable housing projects. In addition, the Committee provides residents, business owners and property owners with a forum to express their views on economic development and affordable housing projects.
- Scope of the Committee - The Citizens Advisory Committee is a special single purpose body focused on economic development related projects in San Rafael. From time to time, the City Council may assign the Committee specific issues, outside of the Committee’s normal purview, to consider and receive public input.
- Functions - The Citizens Advisory Committee advises the City Council in two ways:
- The Committee provides ongoing advice and feed back to the City staff in an informal liaison manner.
- The Committee makes official recommendations to the City Council on those items which may be considered at City Council meetings.
- Membership - Members of the Committee shall be appointed by the City Council. They shall be residents, property owners, or business people within the City of San Rafael. While meetings of the Advisory Committee shall be open to the public, only members of the Committee, appointed by the City Council, shall have voting rights.
- Office and Staff - The office of the Committee for the transaction of business shall be the office of the City of San Rafael. City staff shall provide all necessary staff services to the Committee.
- Meetings - The Committee shall adopt a regularly scheduled meeting time. They shall meet once a month at a set designated place. That meeting shall be open to the public, and the Committee may have other meetings as it deems advisable. Such special meetings may be called by the Chair, or by a majority of the Committee Members. Notice of each such meeting shall be given to each member twenty-four (24) hours in advance of the meeting, either by mail or telephone. A quorum of the meeting shall be constituted if 50 percent of the members are present.
- Officers - The Committee shall select from among its members a Chair, a Vice-Chair, and a Secretary.
Chair - The Chair shall be the Chief Officer of the Committee and shall preside at all meetings. He/she shall be an ex-officio member of all sub-committees and shall have the general powers and duties usually vested in the office of Chair.
Vice-Chair - The Vice-Chair shall assume the office of Chair in the absence of the Chair.
Secretary - The Secretary shall keep or cause to be kept at the principal office of the Committee a book of Minutes of all meetings and record of attendance of all members. The Secretary shall also keep or cause to be kept such other records as shall be directed by the Committee.
Officers shall be elected at the first meeting of the Committee each year and shall serve for a one (1) year term.