Airport Recreational Facility
A new private recreational facility complex located on a vacant portion of the 119.52 acre San Rafael Airport property. The project would consist of an 85,700 sq ft private recreational building 39 ft, 6 in. tall (overall height) building with the follow uses: 1) a multi purpose gymnasium area for recreational uses, including two indoor soccer/sports fields and two multi purpose gymnasium sports courts, common locker and restroom area on the 71,300 sq ft ground floor, and 2) an ancillary viewing area, care, restrooms, sports shop administrative offices and meeting room on a 14,400 sq ft mezzanine level.
There would be two outdoor fields next to the building, including one 200 ft x 300 ft lighted outdoor soccer field with all weather turf and an unlighted grass warm-up field.
- Planning Entitlements: Approved by City Council on December 17, 2012.
- Litigation regarding the project approvals filed with Marin County Superior Court (Case No. CIV1300259). On 10/4/13. litigation settled between two parties through Marin County Superior Court Stipulation for Dismissal (Settlement Agreement).
- Time extensions granted on 7/13/16 for the planning approvals establishing new expiration date for planning approvals of Dec 17, 2020 and modifying the conditions of approval to reflect the approved Settlement Agreement
- Building permit for new bridge over Gallinas Creek issued in May 2015 and work completed in December of 2016.
- Grading permits issued for grading of the site. Grading for roadway and building pad completed in 2017.
- Building Permit for helix piles and building foundation issued 4/17/18 and currently under construction.
- Building Permit for metal building shell issued 9/11/18 and currently under construction.
- Building Permits for interior tenant improvements (building out interior of building) and final site work (parking lot, landscaping, fields) not yet submitted
Multiple phases of construction were anticipated and approved for implementation of the project, based upon a number of limitations that apply to the days, hours and seasons that construction may occur. The applicant has completed site grading and bridge replacement work.
A Permit for the foundation work was issued 4/17/18 and is currently under construction. An alternative to pile driving, helix piles (which are screwed into the ground), is being used to minimize noise impacts.
A Building Permit for the building shell was issued on September 11, 2018 for the metal shell of the building. This work is currently being erected. It is anticipated that the foundation work will be completed by fall 2018 and then building shell will be completed by winter 2018.
Subsequent building permits will be required for the interior improvements and all remaining site improvements, parking lot, landscaping, site lighting, etc. It is currently anticipated that all construction for the recreational facility will be completed by late 2019/early 2020.
There are numerous conditions of approval prior to and during the construction of the project, including mitigation measures that were adopted for the project as a part of the Final EIR
Below are some key conditions of approval
Construction of the facility is limited to occur between July 1 and February 1, subject to conduct of nesting surveys prior to construction and limitations on specific elements of the project, as outlined in the project Mitigation Measures. The general construction timeframe limitations established for the project are summarized as follows:
- Bridge Deck Demo & Replacement – August 1 to October 15
- Pile Driving for Bridge – September 1 to October 15
- Grading and Exterior Building Work – July 1 to February 1
- Pile Driving for Building – September 1 to February 1
- Interior work – No restrictions
Hours for construction
- 7:00 a.m. and 6:00 p.m.on Mondays through Fridays
- 9:00 a.m. and 6:00 p.m.on Saturdays
- Sundays and federal holidays – Prohibited
The point of contact for noise complaints as required by the conditions of approval San Rafael Airport/Roots Construction at 415-472-7700 or 415-850-5099. They are to be the first point of contact if there are noise issues related to the construction of the recreational facility building.
In addition, there are conditions of approval and mitigation measures required for the project prior to occupancy and during on going use of the facility. The current conditions of approval applicable for the project are contained in the City Council resolution 13479, as amended/revised by Zoning Administrator meeting minutes 7/13/16, as provided immediately below
There is separate construction activity occurring on portions of the site to the levees that are in county jurisdiction and are permitted and regulated by the County of Marin and subject to oversight by the County of Marin.
Key Planning Documents
Signed/Approved Planning Entitlements:
- Ordinance #1909 (Amendments to Planned Development Zoning for San Rafael Airport)
- City Council Resolution # 13478 (Adoption of CEQA Findings and Approving Mitigation Monitoring and Reporting Program)
- City Council Resolution # 13477
Environmental Impact Reports:
San Rafael Airport Recreational Facility Draft Environmental Impact Report
City Council Hearing (December 17, 2012) – Merits
City Council Hearing (December 3, 2012) – Merits
- Staff Report Plus Exhibits 1-3a
- Exhibits 4-7
- Exhibits 8-9b
- Exhibits 9c-13
- Exhibits 14-16.3b
- Exhibits 16.4a-4b
- Exhibits 16.5-6
- Video Presentation by Project Applicant
- Exhibits 16.7 plus Response Letter to Fish and Wildlife by Monk and Associates
City Council Hearing (August 6, 2012) – Merits
The August 6th meeting did not occur and was continued to date uncertain. See press release. No staff report was published for this meeting,
Planning Commission Meeting (June 6, 2012) – Merits
- Staff Report Memo
- Resolution for CEQA (Adopted by Planning Commission)
- Resolution for Ordinance (Adopted by Planning Commission)
- Resolution for Merits (Adopted by Planning Commission)
Planning Commission Hearing (May 29, 2012) Merits
- Part 1-Staff Report, Memo and Public Comments Opposed part 1
- Part 2- Public Comments Opposed part 2
- Part 3- San Rafael Airport LLC Letter
- Part 4- Public Comments of Support and San Rafael Airport LLC Attachment to Letter
Planning Commission Hearing (November 15, 2011) – Final EIR
Staff Report on Final EIR
(See link above for actual Final EIR document)
Planning Commission Hearing (May 12, 2009)- Draft EIR
Staff Report on Draft EIR
(See link above for actual Final EIR document)
Public Comments Available at City Hall